CHANGES TO TERMS OF SERVICE - CADETS
OVER 18 YEARS
CHANGE OF TERMS OF SERVICE - NON-COMMISSIONED STAFF
1. The LASER Review was commissioned by HQ Air Cadets to consider
how best to:
a. Meet the aspirations of the ATCs non-commissioned uniformed
b. Encourage cadets to become volunteer staff.
c. Address issues surrounding the status of cadets over the age
d. Set an environment which encourages and acknowledges the aspirations
of older cadets to make a significant contribution to the running
of their unit.
2. After wide staffing of the Reviews recommendations, followed
by some adjustments to them, the ATC members of the Air Cadet Council
endorsed the proposals on 30 Apr 03. Implementation will begin on
30 Sep 03. However, there will be a transition period the principles
of which will ensure reserved rights for cadets over 17½
yrs and AWOs serving on 30 Sep 03.
3. The endorsed principles of the changes are at Annexes A and
B. These supersede all other previously published terms of service
4. Any queries on these changes should be addressed to Rgnl HQs
through the appropriate Wg HQs.
CHANGES TO TERMS OF SERVICE
- CADETS OVER 18 YEARS
1. With effect 30 Sep 03 the following changes to the Terms of
Service for Cadets of 18 yrs and over will be progressively introduced,
however, Cadet service before 18th birthday remains unchanged.
2. Cadet service beyond the 18th birthday is only available to
those who have achieved Cadet Sgt by their 18th birthday. However,
there is one exception - for VGS FSCs. The latitude in this case
for those who have not reached Sgt by 18 yrs is still being refined.
However, an exception will be essential to avoid cutting off the
supply of future VGS staff.
3. Cadet service will cease on reaching the 20th birthday,
after which an individual may leave the movement or volunteer to
become a staff member.
4. Cadets over 18 yrs will:
a. Be called Instructor eg Instructor FS.
b. Wear a white shoulder band above the rank slide.
c. Continue to wear the cadet hat badge.
d. Be considered to be probationary adult staff.
5. A person may join the Air Cadets up to his or her 17th birthday.
6. The role of Instructor cadets is encapsulated in the definition
of The Role of the Cadet NCO:
It is a fundamental principle of the ATC that Cadet NCOs
should use the knowledge, responsibility and experience they have
acquired to train and lead younger cadets and thereby contribute
to the discipline and ethos of the squadron. They should also contribute
to the organisation and infrastructure of their unit. This contribution
should increase with age, experience and ability. Suitable cadets
are to be encouraged to attend NCO training and cadet leadership
courses to develop their skills to undertake these functions to
ensure effective personal development. Cadet NCOs are role models
for younger cadets and, as such, they must be of good character
and be able to set and maintain the high standards which the Corps
7. A training course for Instructor Cadets will be introduced for
delivery at wing level under the standardisation of the Rgnl Trg
Off. This will be designed in the main to teach responsibilities
as an adult and as a supervisor.
8. Cadets up to the age of 20 yrs will be eligible to participate
in all extant cadet activities subject, as now, to any age limits
imposed by national governing bodies and ACTIs.
9. Instructor Cadets, except when undertaking supervisory
duties, should, where possible, be accommodated in alternative accommodation
to younger cadets. Where available, this may be in airmen/airwoman
accommodation, including transit accommodation.
10. The current cadet establishments will be reviewed.
11. The transition period will take 2½ years.
12. CWOs aged 20 yrs and over on 30 Sep 03 may remain as CWOs until
their 22nd birthday, or elect to apply for staff status in accordance
with Annex B.
13. Cadets 17 yrs 6 months and over, regardless of rank, on 30
Sep 03 may continue in cadet service as follows:
a. To their 20th birthday when their cadet service will cease;
they may then apply for staff status in accordance with new Non-Commissioned
Staff terms of service.
b. Wear the white shoulder bands and use the prefix Instructor
to their extant rank on reaching their 18th birthday.
c. Remain eligible for further promotion.
14. All cadets under 17 yrs 6 months on 30 Sep 03 will be subject
to the new Terms laid out above.
CHANGE OF TERMS OF SERVICE
- NON-COMMISSIONED STAFF
1. With effect 30 Sep 03 the following changes will be progressively
introduced to the Terms of Service of non-commissioned staff by
way of the introduction of an NCO rank structure.
2. RAFVR(T) officers and CIs will continue to be appointed under
3. Volunteers aged 20 yrs and over may elect to join the Corps
as NCO staff under the following terms:
a. Direct from ATC Instructor Cadet service or service
as a CI, in the initial appointment of Acting Adult Sgt - on probation
for the first year - with the opportunity to progress to Adult FS
and Adult WO as follows:
(1) After 4 years satisfactory service, on the recommendation of
the Sqn CO, and the authority of the Wing CO, to Adult FS.
(2) After a further 4 years service, an Adult FS may, on selection
by the Rgnl Comdt, be promoted to paid Adult WO to fill an established
post. If he or she has not yet done so, pass the AWO course within
one year of appointment.
(3) On appointment Adult Sgts will be required to pass a SNCO Staff
Initial Training Course (SNCO Staff ITC) at ACTC similar to the
current AWO course within one year of appointment.
(4) Senior Adult FSs will be required to attend a new course designed
to prepare them for advancement to AWO.
(5) All Adult SNCO ranks will be eligible for the Drill Instructors
Course on a voluntary basis.
(6) Ex-Regular Servicemen will be assimilated into the rank structure
at a point determined, case by case, by the Rgnl Comdt based on
length of service and rank achieved in the Regular Service; guidelines
will be issued by HQ AC. They may be required to pass the Initial
Adults SNCO Course within one year of appointment.
4. There will be no change to the AWO cap badge. However, Adult
Sgts and Adult FS will wear the RAF enlisted personnel cap badge,
and the anodised ATC badge on the rank badge fitted to the shoulder
strap in a similar manner as on the AWOs rank badge.
5. Entitlements to pay and allowances will follow the present regulations.
Rates of pay will reflect the rank held (but see paras 8 and 9 below)
and will be published separately.
6. Certificates of Appointment will be awarded to all on appointment
as an Adult NCO or CI.
7. The ratio of officer to NCO establishment will be reviewed.
8. All those holding the rank of AWO on 30 Sep 03, regardless of
seniority, may retain their rank and current rate of pay.
9. Those with less than 4 years seniority, and those with less
than 8 years but more than 4 years seniority, as an AWO under the
old scheme may revert to Adult Sgt or FS respectively if they choose
and on the authority of the OC Wing. Those who do will retain their
current rates of pay.
THE LASER REVIEW
CHANGES TO TERMS OF SERVICE - CADETS OVER 18 YEARS
CHANGE OF TERMS OF SERVICE - NON-COMMISSIONED STAFF