411 Squadron Royal Canadian Air Force (R.C.A.F.) was formed at RAF
Digby on 16th June 1941 and was equipped with Supermarine Spitfires.
It became operational in August 1941 and in November it joined the
Hornchurch Wing with Spitfire Mk VBs and was fully in action, particularly
the following spring, with 'Rhubarbs' (Two aircraft low level ground
attack missions over enemy territory) and bomber escorts. At the end
of March 1942 it retired north once more and engaged in only a few
sweeps. It was not until 1943 that the squadron returned to full-time
offensive as part of the Kenley Wing with sweeps and 'Circus' operations.
Throughout the year it continued thus, becoming part of the 2nd TAF
and, with Spitfire Mk IXs, working up for the 1944 offensive. Early
in that year it became a fighter-bomber squadron, bombing 'Noball'
sites as well as rail and oil installations. Within two weeks of D-Day
No.411 Squadron had landed in France to fly close-support duties to
the advancing armies, and continued in this vein with armed reconnaissance's,
following closely the sweep across he Low Countries. 411 Squadron
moved into Germany after World War II and remained as part of BAFO
until disbanding at Utersen on 21st March 1946.
411 Squadron RCAF at Digby in September 1941